- A Racial Equity Transformation: PJI's Rationale
- Bibliography by Smith and Hattery
- Black Lives Matter Statement Pretrial Justice Institute (June 2020)
- "Disproportionately Black" by Dr. Earl Smith (2020)
- The Problem is White Supremacy by Barbara Smith, Boston Globe (June 2020)
- Pretrial Justice Institute Updated Position on Risk Assessments (2020)
- Six Things to Know About Algorithm-Based Decision-Making Tools, Leadership Conference on Civil & Human Rights
- Algorithm-Based Decision-Making Tools Frequently Asked Questions, Leadership Conference on Civil & Human Rights
- The Use of Pretrial “Risk Assessment” Instruments: A Shared Statement of Civil Rights Concerns, Leadership Conference on Civil & Human Rights
- Pretrial Risk Assessment Tools: A Primer for Judges, Prosecutors, and Defense Attorneys, Safety + Justice Challenge (February 2019)
- Civil Rights and Pretrial Risk Assessment Instruments, Safety + Justice Challenge (December 2019)
- What Does Fairness Look Like? Conversations on Race, Risk Assessment Tools, and Pretrial Justice, ACLU and NYU Law Center on Race, Equality & the Law (October 2018)
An important discussion on the ways in which systemic racism manifests itself in the pretrial process and how we can work towards change.
Presented by sociologists Dr. Angela Hattery and Dr. Earl Smith; Cherise Fanno Burdeen, Executive Partner, Pretrial Justice Institute; Vincent Southerland, Executive Director, Center on Race, Inequality, and the Law, NYU School of Law; moderated by attorney Robert Patillo
- Mapping Pretrial Injustice: A Community-Driven Database
- "Machine Bias" by Julia Angwin, Jeff Larson, Surya Mattu and Lauren Kirchner, ProPublica (May 23, 2016)
- Speech by Mitch Landrieu Addressing Removal of Confederate Statutes, May 19, 2017
- Confederacy: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, Oct. 8, 2017
- Black Lives Matter Statement, Pretrial Justice Institute, 2020
- Updated Position on Pretrial Risk Assessment Tools, Pretrial Justice Institute, Feb. 7, 2020
- A Racial Equity Transformation: PJI's Rationale, July 2019
- See more attached
- Policing Black Bodies: How Black Lives are Surveilled and How to Work for Change (2018)
- The Process is the Punishment by Malcolm M. Feeley (1979)
- Pulled Over: How Police Stops Define Race and Citizenship by Charles R. Epp, Steven Maynard-Moody, and Donald P. Haider-Markel (2014)
- Predict and Surveil by Sarah Brayne (2020)
- Misdemeanorland by Issa Kohler-Hausmann (2018)
- Are Prisons Obsolete by Angela Y. Davis (2003)
- Crook County: Racism and Injustice in America's Largest Criminal Court by Nicole Gonzalez Van Cleve (2016)
Pre-Trial Suppression & Fourth Amendment Issues
This Trial Guide is a topical and practical handbook examining the nuts and bolts of the most current Fourth Amendment & Pre-Trial Suppression issues encountered in modern criminal cases.
Defense Counsel Playbook for Eyewitness ID Cases
This Trial Guide was written to help counsel use existing case law to its strongest advantage, and to create a framework for appellate challenges urging courts to adopt leading cases.
Ultimate Cross 2.0
This special CLE compilation program includes the highest-rated presentations on Cross-Examination techniques from NACDL's most recent seminars (2017-2019).
Forensic Sciences in Criminal Cases: A Multidiscipline Primer
In order to challenge forensic evidence, experts, reports and findings commonly encountered in the courtroom, an attorney must first have a basic understanding of the forensic issues that they will be confronting.